Saturday, August 9, 2008

sixteen. George Hirsch


"We are all products of "The New Wave Of American Hardcore" act accordingly. Lie about, everything. Demand, more money. Complain about, everything. Respect no one, secretly. Praise what is "cool", publicly. Use, everyone. Get to the top, quickly. Change, nothing but your identity. Gain a false sense of importance, now. Fool, everyone. Leave me alone, Forever".

That excerpt was taken from his last blog entry. I'm not sure what it is about this person, the music he is involved with, the words he writes, or the lyrical chances you get to see inside his head for two loud minutes or less but I respect him as a musician and person more than any frontman in music right now. I don't know him and I've never spoken to him for more than a total of  ten minutes, but whatever it is it's nothing but respect.  His every action a "fuck you" and every breath is honesty. I can relate to how he feels and sometimes I don't really know why.  With the current state of independent music and hardcore especially Everyone acts like their shit doesn't stink and everyone plays favorites in waves . They all whisper secrets to each other in groups of five or more in between sets. It's sickening.

Something was lost along the way, and I've never been a  hardcore or punk purist preaching the gospel to the mournful choir. But where the fuck did it go sour? Al I want to do is enjoy music and find something to latch onto.  Something to believe in, and something to love. I don't want to hear about who's fucking who, who's buying what, and who wants to fight who. I don't care I have enough problems, you have enough problems I didn't start listening to punk rock to hear about everyone elses problems in the crowd. I started listening to punk rock because I related to and understood the problems they were yelling about. Not an escape, but more of a catharsis. I know were all different and everyone handles things differently, but ask yourself why you did this in the first place. Take a long hard look in the mirror and think why you are who you are, and why you do what you do. If you question it for one second, you're in the wrong business.

Whatever it is you do George and Blacklisted keep doing it. Keep doing it, and I'll keep respecting it Keep speaking and I'll keep listening. Never stop moving and I will never stop watching.

No comments: